Wednesday, February 02, 2005

and in the morning, i'm makin' WAFFLES!

do some things you see just make you believe again in the goodness and inherent beauty? maybe it's a beautiful sunset, or a sunrise. maybe it's when you see a friend you haven't seen in a long time. or maybe, just maybe, it's from the 16th edition of McConnell & Brue's Microeconomics. And I quote:

In his 1776 book The Wealth of Nations, Adam Smith first noted that the operation of a market system creates a curious unity between private interests and social interests. Firms and resource suppliers, seeking to further their own self-interest and operating within the framework of a highly competitrive market system, will simultaneously, as though guided by an "invisible hand," promote the public or social interest... Businesses use the least costly combination of resources to produce a specific output because it is in their self-interest to do so... But, at the same time, to use scarce resources in the least costly (most efficient) way is clearly in the social interest as well...

Competition controls or guides self-interest in such a way that it automatically, and quite unintentionally, furthers the best interests of society. The invisible hand ensures that when firms maximize their profits, they also maximize society's output and income.

*sigh* I think i'm gonna roll in a field of poppies now. or at least get myself some frozen yogurt.




Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"
even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.


[Psalm 139: 7-12]

No comments: